Built by Richard Barton to see if a viable S Scale layout could be built within 6' 6". Arcadia was inspired by the Rother Valley Railway 1900-1904, which then became the Kent and East Sussex Railway. The station is Bodiam and the backscene, a gift, was painted by Ivy Bevis-Smith some 40 years ago.(Photos by Andy Nicholls)
Situated somewhere in the Forest of Dean, Bicsdale is a fictional place where one of the typical drift coal mines is operating in the Forest in the 1950's.
Originally built to serve a somewhat remote nearby small township, the mine has a connection from the Ross and Monmouth Railway and there is still plenty of passenger traffic with station facilities and a timber merchant also on hand.
The extension into the yard through the bridge to the side of the tunnel entrance was formed when Bicsdale number 1 drift (this now closed the entrance can be seen close to the coal drops), was found to be capable of producing sufficient coal to export via the railway. Later on the mining operation was transferred to number 2 drift and the tramway runs off scene towards that entrance which is still in use.
Regular service both passenger and freight run from the Chepstow and Pontypool directions normally with ex GWR locomotives and from north of Ross with ex LMS stock, still maintaining the joint running of pre nationalisation days.
Pointwork is all handbuilt using C&L components these are matched to their flexitrack.
Operation is completely DCC, including point control which is managed by JMRI and normally controlled using tablets and smart phones.
All stock is fitted with Kadee coupling for ease of shunting.
Cog Road is an imaginary branch of the Barry Railway dating from the late 1890s, that ran between Dinas Powys and Penarth, cutting across the moors via Cog Road and Swanbridge.
Set in the mid 1920s, the layout depicts the terminus station as it became, along with goods yard and cattle dock, which kept the line alive. Many former Barry, Taff Vale, Rhymney, Cardiff, Brecon & Merthyr, Neath and Brecon Railways locos and rolling stock absorbed into the Great Western Railway can be seen, along with newer GWR stock and Cambrian interlopers.
Built by the well-known model maker and author, Stephen Williams, the layout is a scale model of the former GWR branch station at Faringdon in Oxfordshire and is entirely hand-built in 4mm scale to P4 (18.83mm) gauge. The model depicts the station as it might have appeared during the transition from GWR to BR ownership during the period between 1947 and 1955. As was typical of minor routes, the buildings retain the colours of the former GWR, but most of the engines and stock carry the new liveries of British Railways. Although at various stages of its history, Faringdon saw passenger services that linked the town to both Swindon and Didcot, by 1945 the service was little more than a shuttle service to the junction at Uffington and these ceased at the end of 1951. Some artistic licence has therefore been used in extending both the time frame for the model and in showing a more varied range of typical branch line trains than would actually have been seen at the time.
Pencader was a station on the GWR line between Carmarthen and Aberystwyth. It was also the junction for the Newcastle Emlyn branch, the actual junction being some distance to the north (left as you look at the layout). The layout has been built to EM standards with most of the stock either being kit built or modified proprietary.
All the track on the scenic section is hand made using Exactoscale components. Baseboards are ply with the scenery being teddy bear fur on cardboard formers. All the buildings are scratch built using a mixture of plastic and plywood. The electrics are analogue. Set in the 1930s, before Manors were introduced, the model is an accurate representation of the period with the trains being based on the timetables of this period.
Ryders Green Wharf is a representation of a typical rail, canal and road interchange on the Birmingham Canal Navigations at the heart of the industrial West Midlands. The canal wharf is now disused and road transport is becoming ever more popular as the flexibility of the lorry signals the end for the internal narrow gauge railway.
Coal preparation plants or "Washeries" as they where known were erected at collieries to separate shale and stone from small pieces of coal. Sometimes a washery would serve more than one colliery. This layout depicts a small washery which is not part of a colliery complex.
The layout is 20ft by 2ft 2ins consisting of five boards arranged on a curve. Each board has a raised back scene. A single line runs along the back and is seviced by a two road fiddle yard. The line is quite seperate from the washery so it can be run on DC or DCC depending on the locos used. The trackwork either side of the washery is arranged on gradients so all wagon movements ar either under gravity, by creeper or propelled by locos. This avoids coupling and uncoupling. Full wagons of unwashed coal are brought to the tippler where they are unloaded on to a conveyor. From here the dirty coal is taken to the washery where debris is removed and transported by another conveyor to the aerial ropeway filling station ready for transfer to the tip. Clean coal is loaded into empty wagons ready for the return journey. Two Lancashire boilers supply steam where necessary. Three operators are needed, all of whom are happy to answer any questions.